Effective: May 24, 2018
Last update: May 24, 2018
The Society for Vascular Ultrasound (SVU) operates www.svu.org (the Site). This page informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information we receive from users of the Site. SVU is the controller and is responsible for your Personal Information. By using the Site, you agree to the collection and use of information in accordance with this policy.
Information Collection and Use
While using our Site, we may ask you to provide us with certain Personal Information that can be used to contact or identify you, in relation to (but not limited to) joining/renewing your SVU membership, store purchases, event registration, etc. Personal information may include, but is not limited to your full name, full address and email address.
We collect personal information about your membership including your name, contact details such as address, phone number and email address (business or personal), age, job title, employer, credential and credential number, year of first credential and any other information related to your membership. Membership information may be provided by you during the registration process, or by your employer or institution on your behalf as part of a group membership.
Occasionally, SVU does rent member mailing addresses to third parties, but only after a review and approval process.
We collect Purchase Information relating to purchases made by members and non-members of dues renewals, event participation, books, reports, journals or newsletter subscriptions either in-person or via our Site. Purchase information will information concerning the content and time of the purchase. Electronic payment information is not stored within the SVU site, and SVU does not have access to your payment card information unless you opt in to save this information to your profile.
In addition, we may collect Personal Information relating to certification programs, in which members are granted certification if they meet specified educational/employment experience requirements and/or pass an exam.
Personal Information will be collected in the event we conduct ethics/disciplinary programs in which complaints against members are adjudicated, with the result being possible suspension/expulsion from membership. This may include extensive information about a member’s business or professional activities, including employment information, and similar information relating to other individuals involved in the investigation, though would usually not include financial information.
We may use your Personal Information to contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information relating to SVU activities and the profession of vascular ultrasound. Each email has an ‘unsubscribe’ option. Occasionally, SVU will send sponsored emails on behalf of third parties with products and services of interest to vascular ultrasound professionals. SVU clearly identifies these emails as sponsored emails and SVU does not share the email list or any member’s contact information with the sponsor.
Like many site operators, we collect information that your browser sends whenever you visit our Site (“Log Data”). This Log Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, browser version, the time and date of your visit, the pages of our Site that you visit, the time spent on those pages and other statistics. In addition, we may use third party services such as Google Analytics that collect, monitor and analyze this log data, to better understand our visitors and anticipate their needs.
Cookies are files with small amounts of data, which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a web site and stored on your computer’s hard drive.
How We Use Personal Information
We will use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to carry out our obligations arising from your membership, or any other contract entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and membership services that you request from us;
- to organize events that you have purchased or registered for, and to provide you with information, and other materials, relating to the content of the event, the speakers, sponsors and other attendees;
- to provide our newsletter and other publications, provided you have given your consent;
- to respond to your questions and provide related membership services;
- to provide you with information about other events, products and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased, provided you have not opted-out of receiving that information;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about events, products or services we feel may interest you, provided you have given your consent;
- to transfer your information as part of a merger or sale of the business;
- to notify you about changes to our membership service; and
- to ensure that content from our Site is presented most effectively for you and your computer.
When we share and who can access your Personal Information
We may share your Personal Information for the purposes described in this Notice with:
- a member of our society, provided you have not opted-out of the online member directory service
- partners, suppliers and sub-contractors, for the performance of obligations arising from your membership, or any other contract we enter into with them or you or to provide you with the information, products and membership services that you request from us
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our Site
- trusted third-party companies and individuals to help us provide, analyze, and improve the Site and our membership
- services (including but not limited to data storage, maintenance services, database management, web analytics and payment processing)
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we will disclose your Personal Information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets
- if SVU or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case Personal Information held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
We will only transfer your Personal Information to trusted third-parties who provide sufficient guarantees in respect of the technical and organizational security measures governing the processing to be carried out and who can demonstrate a commitment to compliance with those measures.
Recipients of Personal Information
Trusted third-party recipients of Personal Information currently include SVU and the SVU Foundation, Donald Rome Company (DBA i4A), Impexium, Higher Logic, BlueSky, MultiView, Sage Publications, uSquareSoft, EventSential, Good Printers, and renters of the SVU mailing list after the review and approval process.
Transfer of Personal Information outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and International Users
We are headquartered in the United States. Your Personal Information may be accessed by us or transferred to us in the United States or to our affiliates, partners, merchants, or service providers who are located worldwide. If you are visiting our Site from outside the United States, be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located, and our central database is operated. By using our Service, you consent to any transfer of this information.
How Long we Store your Personal Information
We will store your Personal Information, in a form which permits us to identify you, for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which the Personal Information is processed. We may retain and use your Personal Information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements and rights, or if it is not technically reasonably feasible to remove it. Consistent with these requirements, we will try to delete your Personal Information quickly upon request.
Our Site is not directed to children under the age of 13. If you are not 13 years or older, do not use our Site. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13. If we learn that Personal Information of persons less than 13 years-of-age has been collected through our Site, we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child or a minor under the age of 13 has posted, submitted or otherwise communicated Personal Information to our Site without your consent, then you may alert us at email@example.com so that we may take appropriate action to remove the minor’s Personal Information from our systems.
Links to Third Party Sites and Services
Our Site may contain links to third party websites, applications and services not operated by us. These links are provided as a service and do not imply any endorsement by us of the activities or content of these sites, applications or services nor any association with their operators. Company is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any third party including websites or services directly linked to our membership services. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any third party site that you link from our Site.
The security of your Personal Information is important to us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means and standards to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Your European Privacy Rights
For European residents only. We collect and process Personal Information about you only where we have legal basis for doing so under applicable data protection law. The legal bases will depend on the purpose for which we process your Personal Information. This means we collect and use your Personal Information only where:
- We need it to provide the membership services under an agreement to which you are a party, or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into an agreement;
- It satisfies a legitimate interest (which is not overridden by your rights and interests), such as for research and development, to market and promote the Site and to protect our legal rights and interests;
- You give us consent to do so for a specific purpose; or
- We need to process your Personal Information to comply with a legal obligation.
If you have consented to our use of Personal Information about you for a specific purpose, you have the right to change your mind at any time.
We may use your Personal Information to contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information relating to SVU activities and the profession of vascular ultrasound. Occasionally, SVU will send sponsored emails on behalf of third parties with products and services of interest to vascular ultrasound professionals. We will ask for your consent in line with the applicable law when you first provide your Personal Information and each email has an ‘unsubscribe’ option.
In certain circumstances, you have rights in relation to your Personal Information.
- Request access to your Personal Information. You may have the right to request access to any Personal Information we hold about you as well as related information, including the purposes for processing the Personal Information, the recipients or categories of recipients with whom the Personal Information has been shared, where possible, the period for which the Personal Information will be stored, the source of the Personal Information, and the existence of any automated decision making.
- Request correction of your Personal Information. You may have the right to obtain without undue delay the rectification of any inaccurate Personal Information we hold about you.
- Request erasure of your Personal Information. You may have the right to request that Personal Information held about you is deleted.
- Request restriction of processing your Personal Information. You may have the right to prevent or restrict processing of your Personal Information.
- Request transfer of your Personal Information. You may have the right to request transfer of Personal Information directly to a third party where this is technically feasible.